I’ve wanted to make these for two years,
…ever since Lucy, Owen, and I stumbled on a grassy field full of dandelions. The kids were dying! I was dying. It was so fun! And so cute. Isn’t it odd that a weed flower can be so adorable and entertaining?
Who can say no to this?
Dandelions that never wilt or die. Of course you can’t blow them away but you can still make a wish….and decorate your house.
Okay. This is easy.
It’s the same pom pom tutorial I shared a couple years ago but we’re adding a stick, and using a speckled yarn. You can also use pure white yarn but I really like how the flecks of dark mixed with cream give the dandelions an earthy texture.
No special pom pom tools needed. Just use your hands and some yarn!
1. Start wrapping yarn around 3 fingers. For smaller poms use 2 fingers. For larger poms use a book or something wide and be prepared for a ton of wrapping.
2. Wrap till the ball is pretty full
3. Carefully slide the ball off your fingers and lay it over a separate piece of yarn
4. Tie the yarn string tightly around the center of the yarn ball
5. Use scissors to cut all the loops on both sides
6. Give the pom a hair cut. Keep trimming till all the sides are fairly even (doesn’t need to be exact)
7. Insert a wooden dowel (found at most craft stores), or a wooden skewer or pencil, or candy stick, whatever works.
8. Squeeze a bit of hot glue on the end of the stick
9. Carefully push the stick into the center of the pom pom
And there you go. Dandelion Pom Pom.
Stick some in a vase or give them away in a bundle, and everyone feels like a kid again.
This is part of Celebrate MOM, a series with gift ideas for moms and women.
Here’s what we’ve shared this week:
• Dishtowel and Napkin Totes
• Fabrics A to Z book Giveaway