Whether it’s your first day of school or a lazy day at home, everyone deserves a dress that makes them feel special. So dress it up, spin around, throw on your boots or a pair of shorts, and just be you!
The First Day Dress is a PDF pattern in the SHOP, ranging from sizes 2 to 10 years old.
There are 5 different style options—each can be made with or without sleeves. And there are 4 different lining options to make it fully or partially lined.
If you’ve never sewn a lining, it’s so much easier than you think.
And the result is beautiful. All those seams are hidden, the garment looks polished, and hey your friends might even think it came from a store!
You’re that good.
So make your dress twirl! Keep it straight.
Cut it short. Or add on sleeves.
The choices are up to you!
And there’s something for everybody.
Here are the details….
This is a 46-page PDF document, with detailed information and pattern pieces for sewing a First Day Dress or Top.
Instructions are easy to follow, with beautiful photos and illustrations, and a conversational tone that helps you feel like I’m right there next to you, joining in the sewing fun!
Advanced Beginner +
Of course I encourage anyone to push themselves and take on a challenge. So if you’re a true beginner, don’t be scared off. You can always give it a shot! Or grab a sewing friend to coach you along the way. Sewing is always an adventure!
The First Day Dress comes in 5 styles. Each can be made with or without sleeves:
• A-Line Dress
• A-Line Top
• Swing Dress
• Swing Top
• Swing Dress/Top with Front Placket
• The pattern ranges from 2 to 10 years old.
• Sizes are labeled according to age and based on the average size of a child, similar to what you would find in retail stores.
The charts below help you find the proper size and are included in the pattern with details and tips.
FABRIC and MATERIALS
For each Dress or Top you need:
• Outer Fabric
• Lining Fabric
• Back Button
• 6 inches of Elastic Cord
• small amount of Piping (placket option only)
• front buttons (placket option only)
• Quilting cotton, medium-weight cotton, home decor fabrics, broadcloth, linen, lightweight cotton, etc. (more details and the chart below are included in the pattern).
DOWNLOADING the pattern
• After purchasing, you are sent a link for downloading the pattern to your computer. This is sent to the email address attached with your paypal account. When you open the download pattern link, make sure you save the pdf file to your computer so you always have it for future use.
• The file size is 3.6 MB
• You do not need to print every page. A chart is included, showing which pages to print for each size.
• Pages print to standard 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper (for printing outside of the US see below)
• Pages are pieced together by trimming along the border, matching them at the markings, and taping together. I’ve tried to make this as simple as possible with detailed instructions in the pattern itself.
Printing in another Country (outside of the US)
The pattern was created for standard US printers but should work for other countries as well. There are measuring rulers on the side of each page (in inches) so you can see if you’ve printed to the proper print size. The pattern images do NOT print to edge of the paper…so I recommend printing to your standard size paper, checking the ruler, and matching the pattern pieces up as outlined in the instructions.
And that’s about it!
Ready to Sew??
You can purchase the First Day Dress Pattern HERE.
When you’ve finished sewing, share your photos with us!
• Instagram them with the tag #firstdaydressmade and tag me as well @made_everyday
• Share them in the You Made it Flickr group.