On Saturday night our friends invited us over for a bbq at their ranch. I forget sometimes that we live in the same city, since we’re in the cookie cutter suburbs. But their 5 acres of farmland is every kid’s dream– goats, chickens, horses, a huge treehouse, trampoline, land to explore, and plenty of pigs to chase. Yes, Lucy and Owen had a ball chasing those squealing pigs around the pen and I’m kicking myself for not snapping a photo. It was hilarious.
So our contribution to the bbq was my anytime favorite: Carrot Cupcakes.
I started with the same yummy Carrot Cake recipe and made a few modifications:
• I decreased the 1/2 cup of oil to 1/4 cup oil PLUS 1/4 cup smashed bananas. And it turned out great. I still loved the consistency, it was slightly more healthy, and no one could even taste the banana.
• I decreased the amount of sugar from 2 cups to 1-3/4 cups and it still tasted wonderful.
• When you’re ready to bake, place about 1/3 of cup of batter in lined cupcake pans and bake at 350 for about 17-18 minutes (makes about 22-24 cupcakes)
• Double the Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
• Place the frosting in a piping bag or make your own by spooning frosting into a ziplock bag and cutting a small hole on the corner of the bag (do not seal the top of the ziplock bag).
• Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake.
• Then comes the added twist: CARAMEL! Nothing fancy here…just drizzle each cupcake with a bit of cold pre-made caramel (I used Smuckers).
• refrigerate the cupcakes till ready to eat.
They get a little messy but it sort of adds to the charm.
After burgers and hotdogs, we pulled a whole pile of cupcakes out of the fridge for the masses to enjoy.
Then it was time to take June for a ride.
Cupcakes, horse rides, sunsets, and good conversation.
That’s my kind of an evening.