Decisions are the worst. But what if you didn’t have to decide? What if you could wear yellow for five minutes and then flip it over and wear orange? YES! It’s every kid’s dream come true….it’s the Flip Vest! Just flip it over for whatever mood you’re in. I love options.
Made from two layers of fabric, this is a reversible vest for boys and girls with soft ribbing lining the collar and arms and simple velcro closures or buttons on the front. It comes in 5 sizes ranging from 6 months old up to 5 years. And it works well for all seasons. It adds the perfect warmth on a Fall afternoon and for extra chilly days, just throw it under a coat and send the kiddies off to school. It’s the vest that keeps giving all year long.
If you enjoy our tutorials here on MADE, then you’ll love this pattern. It’s filled with all the same details, with step-by-step photos and info, but goes into greater depth explaining all the tiny things, how to fix problems, how to work with various fabrics, and builds confidence to push yourself as a sewer.
In fact….if you’ve never sewn with fleece fabric or with knit ribbing, have no fear! Today is your day. The flip vests walks you through all the basic steps for sewing fleece and ribbing on a STANDARD sewing machine. That’s right, you do not need a serger for this project. And since the vest is reversible all the seams are completely finished off….nothing exposed….totally professional looking! Your friends will be impressed. They’ll look like this:
and then they’ll never want to take their vests off. They’re just so cozy and cute!
In the pattern we’ll make two versions of the vest for boys and girls, toddlers and babies. The velcro vest is reversible and easy to flip. The button vest, however, is best worn on the button side for comfort. We’ll also share two different methods for sewing ribbing around the armholes.
And the best part about this pattern (aside from the cute factor and fun fabric choices)…is that the printable pattern piece is only 3 pages long! It prints to standard 8.5×11 inch paper on your home printer. Then you follow the instructions in the pattern for cutting/taping the pages together and it all lines-up perfectly! No worrying about borderless printing or images going to the edge of the paper. Plus there’s a measuring ruler along the side, to gauge whether you’ve printed properly.
Okay, here are the nitty gritty details….
the FLIP Vest Pattern – $8
–for boys and girls, babies and kids—
• This is a 23-page PDF document, which means you download it after payment to your computer. The pattern is not physically mailed to you. After purchase you are sent a link for downloading the pattern to your computer (these are sent to the email address attached with your paypal account). Please note that the link will expire after a few days! So when you open the download pattern link, make sure you save the pdf file to your computer so you always have it for future use!
• The file size is about 3MB
• The first 20 pages are filled with colorful photos and step-by-step instructions for making a Flip Vest. You don’t need to print these pages if you plan to reference them on your computer or iPad as you sew.
• The last 3 pages are pattern pieces that can be printed and taped together. The pattern contains detailed instructions for printing and piecing.
• For printing in another country see info below.
• The pattern outlines basic fabric and sewing info for working with Fleece and Knit Ribbing.
The pattern comes in 5 sizes, based on age:
• 6 months – 12 months
• 12 months – 24 months
• 2 Toddler – 3 Toddler
• 3 Toddler – 4 Toddler
• 4 Toddler – 5 Toddler
There are 2 looks, 2 armhole options.
….and plenty of room for your own interpretation. Add your own pockets, zippers, snaps and embellishments! The pattern offers:
• Velcro front closure (totally reversible vest)
• Button front closure (non-reversible vest)
• Ribbing sewn either as a binding or sandwiched into the vest layers (details in the pattern)
The pattern is aimed at the “Advanced Beginner” level and up. Anyone can tackle it but it’s probably not a first-time sewer project.
Fabric and Supplies needed
• 1/2 to 2/3 yard of fabric for each vest layer, depending on size (so appx 1 to 1 1/3 yards fabric overall)
• 1/4 yard knit ribbing
• 6-8 inches of Velcro
• 2 Buttons
• Standard sewing machine and standard presser feet – no fancy tools. You do NOT need a serger for this project
Printing in another Country (outside of the US)
The pattern was created for standard US printers but should work for other countries as well. There’s a measuring ruler on the side of the page (in inches) so you can see if you’ve printed to the proper print size. The images do NOT print to edge of the paper…so I recommend printing to your standard size paper, checking the ruler, and matching the pattern pieces up as outlined in the instructions. I have not personally printed to an international printer but I do think it will work!
If you’d like to peek inside of the pattern, click HERE for a 4-page sample (you computer will prompt you to download/open a small 400KB file in Preview or Acrobat, etc).
(click the button below)
• Instant payment is through Paypal
• E-check payment through paypal will delay your pattern download a few days.
• MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PROPER EMAIL ADDRESS ATTACHED TO YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT. This email address is where the info about your purchase and download instructions will be sent.
• You will receive a few emails confirming your payment and providing info about downloading the pdf pattern to your computer.